Myths vs. Reality
As deaths by firearms mount, there’s a lot of talk about what can be done to reduce gun violence, including misinformation.
Let’s separate: -fact from fiction -reality from myth … and have more productive conversations about saving lives.
- It’s unconstitutional – in 2008 the Supreme Court affirmed in DC v Heller the 2nd Amendment applies to individuals.
- There are 300 million guns in 80 million U.S. civilian hands.
- Confiscating them is impossible!
- Convicted felons
- Domestic abusers
- Untrained individuals
- Toddlers who find and play with unlocked guns
- Straw purchases
- Internet sales
- Keeping guns out of bad guys’ hands works even better.
- A good guy with a gun, but no training, is a risk to everyone.
- 2.4 million sales blocked since 1990s = fewer guns in bad guys’ hands.
- A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to kill/injure, i.e. homicide, suicide, or accidentally.
- Most youth suicides and accidental/school shootings use a family member’s gun.
- A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to kill/injure by homicide, suicide, or accident.