Our 4th Annual Community Forum last week on ‘Gun Violence. Keeping Our Children Safe’ was a tremendous success!
Whether you were among the record number of attendees or not, we hope this brief recap energizes you and renews your commitment to continue working for responsible gun ownership, gun safety, and common-sense gun laws.
Among the many Forum highlights:
1) A record 232 people attended the Forum, a 65% increase from just three years ago.
2) More than $23,600 was raised from Breakfast Sponsors and other donations to support future Forums and the ongoing work of the organization, including its distribution of free gun locks through ‘Lock It for Love.’
3) Some 34 local organizations on both sides of the state line co-sponsored the Forum, extending our message of gun safety metro-wide.
4) Sandy Hook parent Nicole Hockley inspired us with her keynote speech, sharing memories of her late son Dylan and describing her meaningful work with Sandy Hook Promise. (sandyhookpromise.org) She urged us to feel Hopeful, not Helpless, and to focus on actions we can take to prevent gun violence, including recognizing signs of feeling isolated and unnoticed.
5) The panel of experts on Safety in Schools, Accidental Deaths (referred to as Preventable Deaths) and Preventing Teen Suicide shared valuable information on their topics to be used as we finalize our Action Steps to come shortly.